Attic Insulation Helps Keep Your House Comfortable and Energy Efficient
Attics are one of the most often overlooked places in a home. They can quickly become hot and stuffy during the summer or cold and drafty during the winter months if they’re not well insulated. This article is for homeowners to understand attic insulation basics, why attic insulation is important, and how you can get attic insulation installed on your home.
What is Attic Insulation?
Attic insulation is a material used to minimize heat transfer between the attic and other parts of your home. It can either be installed in place or blown-in using specialized equipment. The most common type of attic insulation consists of fiberglass batts that are trimmed out to fit over rafters within an attic; this type needs minimal additional materials to be installed.
Attic insulation must be correctly installed because it can affect your home’s heating and cooling system’s energy efficiency and keep you warm in the winter months and cool during summer days. It also reduces airborne sound transmission from outside into your attic space which could otherwise impact how quiet a room below feels when used for events like parties and concerts.
What Are The Problems Associated With Uninsulated Attics?
The most common problems associated with an uninsulated attic are
- Attic space becomes too hot in summer and too cold in winter.
- The attic’s sound insulation qualities are lacking, so noise from the attic below can often be heard or felt as vibrations through the flooring.
- Attic air leaks cause heat loss during the winter months.
- Inability to provide adequate ventilation for the attic causes indoor humidity levels to rise while being unable to provide a suitable attic environment to prevent structural damage.
- Attic space can be very humid during the summer months, which is not healthy for anyone living in your home.
Why Is Attic Insulation Necessary?
There are numerous benefits to insulating your attic, but two of the most important ones are:
- Attic insulation can help keep heat from escaping through ceiling vents or around the roofline. This means that it helps maintain a consistent temperature in your home, which reduces the need for air conditioning during the summer months. As a result, attic insulation is often one of the cheapest ways to save on heating and cooling costs.
Attic insulation has been shown to reduce energy costs associated with heating and cooling an attic by 30% or more. This means that when you insulate your attic, you will be saving money on your energy bills.
- Attic insulation also helps reduce the amount of sound that travels through your attic. The airtight seal created by attic insulation can help lower noise levels in a home, especially if you live close to an airport or train tracks. This means less disruption and sleep deprivation for homeowners.
How Do I Insulate My Home’s Attic?
To insulate your attic, you will need the experts. Except you have the technical know-how and experience. Attic insulation that’s not correctly installed is as good as not having any insulation. The results are the same.
A1 Home Insulation experts can insulate your attic to prevent heat and air leakage, improve your HVAC’s performance, and help you save on energy costs.