Mold in the Attic: Why It's Essential to Keep Your Attic Mold-Free
Attic mold is a common problem that homeowners face. If you are noticing an increase in musty smells, or if your attic has been flooded recently, then it’s possible that there could be some problems with mold and mildew growth. Mold and mildew grow more quickly in cold climates than warmer ones because of the moisture levels present. However, they still grow just as well when the temperature outside isn’t so chilly!
Mold in the attic can be as devastating as mold anywhere in your home. If you want to avoid health problems and property damage, then it’s time to get rid of that pesky mold before it causes any more trouble. This post will help you understand why it’s essential to keep your attic free from mold and how you can do so most effectively.
What Is Mold?
Mold is a type of fungi that grows in the form of spores. When these mold spores contact moist surfaces, they will begin to grow and eventually produce more spores that may spread throughout your home. Mold can cause health problems for humans, such as asthma or allergies, but it can also damage furniture like carpets, windowsills, and drywall.
Various types of mold can grow in an attic, including Aspergillus niger (black), Penicillium notatum (blue or green), Cladosporium cladosporioides (cream color), and Cladosporium herbarum (green).
What Causes Mold Growth In The Attic?
There are many causes for mold in your attic, but the most common is warm moisture from leaks or high humidity levels. Mold can grow more comfortably in colder climates than it would in warmer ones because of this phenomenon.
Mold needs three things to thrive: cold, water, and a surface to attach. Mold can be found anywhere in your attic but is most common near the ceiling, where moisture accumulates from leaked water or humid air. This moisture can also cause rots.
Dangers Of Having Mold In Your Attic
Having mold in your attic can be dangerous to you and your family because mold can make you sick. It is essential to get rid of the mold before it spreads through your home and damages more items.
Mold in an attic or any other part of a house will cause serious health problems for humans, such as asthma, allergies, or infection. Mold is airborne and travels as spores. When you inhale any amount of it, the health damages can range from minute to severe. Additionally, if not taken care of quickly enough, it will spread through the house and damage your carpets, windowsills, drywall, or furniture.
If you eat anything contaminated with mold, the spores will grow in your stomach and intestines, resulting in nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain.
Mold in your attic can also be a sign of or result in energy inefficiency and high costs. This means you might be paying more in gas or electricity bills – paying more to power your HVAC and getting less from its operation.
A1 Home Insulation experts can inspect and eliminate mold from your attic immediately to help you save on energy cost and prevent health hazards and property damage.